St Peter and St Paul Parish Church
The parish church of St Peter and St Paul has occupied its
prominent position in the village of Scarning since the 12th century
and there have been Rectors of Scarning since 1299. The whole building,
which is mainly in the perpendicular style, was extensively restored in
1869, when the gable of the chancel roof was raised to its original
pitch for £1000. In 1894 the tower was restored, the nave buttresses
were entirely rebuilt and new churchyard gates were fitted - all at the
expense of Dr Jessopp.
Parochial Church CouncilAlan Glister and Ron Steward are our Churchwardens – with Alf Webdale and Charles Steward as deputy Churchwardens. Mike Quinnell is the treasurer and Sue Rockley is the secretary to the church council. Other members of the PCC are: Corinne Steward, Stephen Archer, Charles Pope, Tricia Foreman, Diana Rowland and Tim Farnham.
A warm welcome is assured to everyone who would like to join us for a service at 11.15am each Sunday.1st Sunday Morning Prayer – Common Worship
2nd Sunday Common Worship
3rd Sunday Parish Communion – sometimes with Baptism
4th Sunday Parish Communion (1662)
5th Sunday Songs of Praise– Lay led
The latest Dereham Benefice newsletter which has details of Church Services is available on the Benefice website and can be downloaded directly by clicking on the following link: http://derehamanddistrictteam.org.uk/communications/newsletter-weekly/ The newsletter for each week is usually uploaded on the preceding Thursday.
Services November 20166th Parish Communion - Jenny Taylor
13th Remembrance Service - Alan Barrett
20th Family Service -Lydia Crick
20th 15.00 Baptism-Gill Wells
27th Parish Communion (BCP) - Dominique Turnham
SCARNING COFFEE MORNINGS
Would you like to ring those bells?
Scarning's bellringers are making excellent progress after deciding to learn the skill and they want more people to join them. Anyone who wants to get involved should telephone Tricia Foreman, tower secretary on 01362 687082.
Scarning Church Restoration Appeal
The PCC and Incy Wincy Spider
would like to thank everyone for their generous support.
This picture shows the church as it is today.
This reproduction of an old postcard showing the church as it was prior to the first World War. The building on the extreme right of this picture was the old Post Office on the other side of Chapel lane.
Report to Scarning Annual Parish Meeting April 2015The PCC was still some way short of securing sufficient funds for the restoration project at the church involving high level repairs and the installation of a new rainwater system.
English Heritage funded the lion's share of the project. On the back of the success of the local fund raising campaign, we were able to secure grants from the National Churches Trust, the Wolfson Foundation and the Garfield Weston Foundation to enable the work to go ahead. it began in July but unfortunately has been delayed for a number of reasons and is due to be finished in the next few weeks.
As is inevitable with such a project, there have been some unexpected difficulties including an east wall which was in a very poor state of repair. Fortunately savings have been made in other areas so the project is expected to come in within budget.
The PCC would once again like to record its thanks to everyone who helped in any way with this project. We are delighted that the Bishop of Norwich is coming to Scarning on 30 June at 7 pm to lead a special service to mark the end of the project. We hope that members of the Parish Council will come along to the service.
The PCC would also like to record its thanks to the Parish Council for the maintenance of the churchyard and clock. This contribution is a Significant help to the PCC and is much appreciated.
On behalf of the village, the PCC would also like to thank the Parish Council for the Christmas tree which, together with the lights on the Village Hall, makes a splendid focal point over the Christmas season.
Significant events for the church during the year included:
the splendid Flower Festival on the theme of Inspiration
a confirmation service for four members of the congregation
the special service commemorating the beginning of the First World War
the re dedication of the memorial to Dr Augustus Jessopp and his wife.
The PCC is delighted with the success of the monthly coffee mornings in the village hall. These were the brainchild of Tricia Foreman and include splendid refreshments - the bacon butties being particularly noteworthy.
Highlights for this year will include a Gardens Open Day and Barbecue on 14 June. On Friday this week we have a first - a Pop Up shop of ladies Luxury fashions by the Francois Bouttier Studio of Holt.
During the year the Dereham and District Team Ministry has been expanded to include Bradenham and Shipdham with an additional part time vicar.
We are pleased that our regular congregation continues to grow steadily - boosted by the support of our own team of bell ringers with their distinctive red sweatshirts.
The choir in the time of Rev.Bignold about 80 or 90 years ago.
Scarning Hall which is adjacent to the church was once the rectory but now a private house.
Scarning Bellringers now have their own website which has all the up to date information about the group and their activities. Click on the image below:
A record is kept in the church and anyone wishing to consult
the register should contact Alf Webdale on 01362 687558 or Alan Glister
on 01362 696674 who will ensure that the enquirer has access to
the register. A record made by Scarning WI is available online.