To book the Village Hall, please contact Nick Hartley, the Booking Clerk on 01362 687492Village Hall Trust & Estate Committee
Please send all correspondence to:
NOTICE TO HIRERS OF THE SCARNING VILLAGE HALL FOR ONE OFF EVENTS.
Scarning Village Hall Trustees have found it necessary to make a charge
of £50.00 as a deposit for one off parties/events to safeguard the
Village Hall from damage, the Trustees will return the deposit in full
in a few days of the event being over if the Hall and facilities are
left clean and tidy without any damage,"
Scarning Village Hall has served as a public meeting place ever since it was built in 1902. It has recently undergone major works to upgrade and extend the facilities to better serve the needs of the ever growing village of Scarning. The main hall is open galleried and can sit 80 persons to eat in comfort. See the picture on the right. The minstrel's gallery is suitable for musical entertainment and you are considering hiring the hall you might like to contact www.minstrelsgallery.com/
The kitchen has modern stainless steel fixtures and equipment available to produce cooked food on site.
There is also a smaller meeting room off the main hall. The grounds to the hall are substantial and they lead through to a large garden suitable for a Bouncy Castle and the playing field beyond.
A defibrillator situated outside the village hall was installed and is being maintained by the Trust.
These features all add up to the Scarning village hall being an excellent venue for functions such as weddings, family parties, public events, training days, conferences, art groups, civic meetings, health visitors, keep fit classes, members clubs, school and educational activities, church events, dance classes, and fund raising activities for local charities etc etc.....
Currently the hall is used on a regular basis, by a very
diverse group of users:
Times and contact details for some of the above:
This is the village hall as it is today. Scarning Parish Council meet here. For details see the Parish Council page.The Scarning Village Hall and Estate Trust was set up in 1902 to build the village hall and the six adjacent cottages. The self sustaining estate was the the brainchild of the then Rector of Scarning Dr Augustus Jessop DD he lived in the Rectory opposite( now known as Scarning Hall). Dr Jessop fondly referred to Scarning as his arcadia, the estate was funded by a lady benefactor who remained anonymous until after her demise and we now know to be one Caroline Evans of Wimbledon and she donated a substantial sum for Dr Jessop to carry out these forward thinking projects. He also built a hall in Long Stratton which is still being used as a village hall today, and one at Wicklewood near Wymondham, this one has been a private home for some years as it was not sustainable as a village hall.and was sold on the open market. As have three of the Scarning cottages No 1- 2 -3 are private.
Christmas Fair. This is a view of the main meeting room taken from the gallery. The double doors on the left lead to the small meeting room and kitchen.
This is a picture of a New Year social evening in the hall in
The village hall was used by the military during the First World War see here for larger image