CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
List Entry Number: 1342579
Heritage Category: Listing
Location: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, DEREHAM ROAD, Scarning, Breckland, Norfolk
The medieval period has left the parish with its earliest surviving building, the church of St Peter and St Paul (NHER 2891) in the centre of Scarning village. This is a medieval and later flint, brick and stone parish church, consisting of a west tower, an aisleless nave with a south porch and a chancel with a south vestry. The earliest part of the building is probably the nave, which may be 13th century and certainly pre-dates the 14th century chancel and south porch. The west tower is 16th century with a later top. The unusual two storey south vestry dates to 1576. The whole was restored, the chancel heavily, in 1869 and 1984. Inside is a 13th century font with a tall spire of a cover, a late medieval painted rood screen with tracery and some good memorials. The east window is from about 1862 and is very rich and High Victorian, as are the other chancel windows.