Postcard of Scarning Church
Old Photos of Places
EDP 11th April 1970 – As the Last vehicles dash beneath, workmen prepare to knock down the cast-iron Railway bridge over the A47 at Scarning.
A ROUND-THE-CLOCK bashing operation on Scarning Arch railway bridge began at about ten o’clock last night under floodlights. The demolition of the bridge, which has not carried rail traffic since the closure of the Dereham-to Lynn line, has been made urgent by the damage to the ironwork caused by a lorry. The A47 has been closed at this point until 6.30 a.m. on Tuesday so that the work can be carried out. The flow of traffic under the bridge slowly dried up as the diversions were brought into force at 6.30 last night. Two cranes, each carrying a 30-cwt. weight for bashing, were moved into position on the embankment at either side of the bridge and this involved getting one across the structure. Railway sleepers were used as a base for the tracks of the crane that crossed. Next, sleepers were spread over the road under the bridge and for about 12 feet on either side to protect the road surface from the falling debris. Erected in 1847, the bridge is of cast iron and was made at the Phoenix Foundry, Derby. It is something of a rarity, but there is another almost 1dcntical just outside Derby, British. Rail are doing the demolition with their own staff and they do not propose to take down the massive brickwork abutments on which the ironwork rests at this time. This is a disappointment to the people in the Podmore area of Scarning who thought that the obstruction that this brickwork makes to their view as they enter the A47 was to disappear.