Q – What is a Deferred Payment Agreement?

A – A Deferred Payment Agreement (DPA) is meant to ensure you are not forced to sell your home in your lifetime if you need to pay for residential care. By entering into a DFA, you delay paying your care costs until a later date, usually by having a legal charge placed on your property by the local Council. The cost of your care will then be repaid by you or your estate.

Many families are then able to rent the property out if they so wish or sell at a later date. As this is a loan, agreed interest and charges are added to the cost of your care fees, which are paid on your behalf by your local Council, whom you can contact for further details.

Q – How can you find out if in an earlier working life, one or more contributions were made to a pension scheme, details of which might have been forgotten?

A – Visit Gov.UK Pension Tracing Service where it advises that there is over £400 million in unclaimed pension savings. The Pension Tracing Service is a free government service. It searches a database of more than 200,000 workplace and personal pension schemes to try to find the contact details you need.

Angela Gifford – www.ablecommunitycare.com