Waste is hazardous if it can cause harm to humans or the environment and includes any waste that needs specialist disposal.
We don’t normally take these items at our recycling centres, however we hold annual free household hazardous waste days (amnesties) when we do accept certain hazardous waste items.
These are for residents disposing of household hazardous waste only and not for any business, group or other organisation.
The 2022 Household Hazardous Waste Days will take place on the following dates and at the following recycling centres:
- 3 and 4 September 9am – 5pm at Norwich North RC, Morse Road, Horsham St Faith, Norwich NR10 3JX
- 10 and 11 September 9am – 5pm at King’s Lynn RC, Willows Business Park, Saddlebow, King’s Lynn PE34 3RD
- 17 and 18 September 9am – 5pm at Caister RC, Pump Lane, NR30 5TE
- 24 and 25 September 9am – 5pm at Dereham RC, Trafalgar Business Park, Rash’s Green NR19 1JG
- 1 and 2 October 9am – 4pm at Thetford RC, 15-17 Telford Way IP24 1HU
- 7, 8 and 9 October 9am – 4pm at Hempton RC, Helhoughton Road, Fakenham NR21 7DY
- 5 and 16 October 9am – 4pm at Norwich South, Ipswich Road, NR4 6US
Your local district, borough or city council may offer a hazardous waste collection, but they might charge you for this service.
You can find specialist hazardous waste disposal contractors in your local telephone directory or online. Remember to ask to see a Waste Carriers Licence and find out where the waste will be disposed of.