Scarning Village Hall and Estate Trust

The Trust was set up in 1902 to build the Village Hall and six adjacent cottages – the self-sustaining estate being the brainchild of the then Rector, Dr August Jessopp, DD, who lived in the Rectory opposite (now known as Scarning Hall).  Dr Jessopp fondly referred to Scarning as his arcadia.

The estate was funded by a lady benefactor who remained anonymous until her demise and whom we now know to be one Caroline Evans of Wimbledon.  It was her generosity that enabled Dr Jessopp to carry out these forward-thinking projects. He also built a Hall at Long Stratton – still used as a Village Hall today – and another at Wicklewood near Wymondham.  The Wicklewood Village Hall was found to be unsustainable, was sold on the open market and has been a private home for some years.  Three of the Scarning Cottages (No 1-2-3) have also been sold in the past and are now privately owned.

The Trustees still continue to work tirelessly for the benefit of the local community.  The Hall is very much a focal point in the village is used for many local events and is conveniently situated on the main bus route opposite the Church.

See the Scarning Village Hall page for more details of the hall itself.

Caroline Evans was the benefactor of the Village Hall 1902
This is a view of the Village Hall looking eastwards. The houses in the distance stood where the old garage is today.

From Dec 1982, BBC Radio Norfolk’s Village Voice – Leslie & Pam Allwood discuss the village hall, school trust & the WI.

For full details of this recording and others included in the radio programme, please see the Radio Norfolk’s Village Voice page on this website.

This is a view looking westwards towards the Village Hall in about 1920.
The village hall 1907
The village hall - undated post card
The village hall in 2008
Menu